What to expect?April 21, 2019 - 4 min read
This is my welcome post🎉🎉🎉, this is not my first one as you can notice. I used to write some posts on medium when I was a software apprentice; which I believe I’m going to migrate here(at least the good ones), with a few modifications of course because I want to improve the quality of the content you’re going to be reading. As an aspiring software engineer I don’t have the best writing skills, which is something I plan to improve while doing this(feedback is very appreciated of course).
A few points to notice
- I just want to say thanks for being on this page, I don’t know how you get in here, but I hope you manage to find something useful. I’m planning to update this regularly.
- This is intended to be about geeky stuff, I’m about to start my first job as a rails developer, so I really hope to learn and post useful things about RoR. Even though I believe I should also post random things about stuff I like(movies, bands, video games and maybe food?).
- As I mentioned earlier, writing skills are not one of my biggest qualities, so I’ll try to keep this interesting and enjoyable.
- I’m planning to add an actual logo for my header. Just wait for it, if you know about design and adobe tools and want to contribute, please contact me. 🙏🙏🙏please, please, please let me get what I want this time.
- I also plan to add translations, for this blog, my first language is spanish and I believe it should have priority over english but right now all of my medium posts are written in english, keep an eye because I need to implement that feature.
Now a bit of history about this blog
As first I thought this project was going to be just for the sake of learning Gatsby(an awesome library to build static sites), but in the end I guess it just turned as a nice idea to continue and have fun with.
I choose netlify to host it because well it was the easiest way to deploy it and it offered a plugin to edit text in a nice way(because writing everything using markdown is not fun at all).
The url, the url… It just turned out to be the one you’re looking at now(I don’t know if my blog name is going to be that one), it is a green day song and it also has a nice meaning behind it. Trust me for me that’s not the meaning but maybe I can talk about it in another post.
The domain was cheap, I was looking for an .io domain but it was a little bit expensive for me atm, maybe in the future I can buy one. I choose a .dev because I like programming, my blog is going to be about programming and .com was being used and I don’t know how to transfer sites and the price for that was about $7k.
Setting up my domain with netlify was fairly easy and now my site is live, I do want to make some modifications for the UI, fix some things, the dark theme is working but the toggle is not completely right, I need to debug why sometimes it does not change the theme. I’m not making unit tests😮😮 forgive me please, I’m lazy, but maybe I’m going to add that in the future, I want a ribbon in my repo.
def hello_world puts "Hello World" end
Yes this is ruby and I know it is the most cliche, first thing you learn when coding, but I just wanted to greet the viewers 🙁🙁
So if you’re interested or partially interested please stay tuned and if you have questions, suggestions, found bugs or you just want to make fun about my blog please let me know.
Built and mantained by Jean Aguilar
Nobody likes you when you're twenty three